Monday, April 23, 2012

Catching Up

Salut Mes Amis!

Just got back from a quick trip to visit my newly confirmed Catholic daughter's first choice of colleges. 

I love this child for so many reasons.

She's sweet, kind, funny, grumpy, sassy and smart.  It's a beautiful and at times infuriating combination.  BUT, it means that she knows what she wants.

While she investigated, mapped and charted her college options, she boiled it all down to one main choice. 

That being said, when I perused the fruits of her efforts (trying to prove that there really just had to be some other options she was overlooking), I had to corroborate that said college was not only the best in the defined parameters, but also the most economical, and so off we went.

It's not an easy "here to there" as the Allegheny Mountains lie between us and it, and after a white knuckled journey straight across them on the way up, we fortunately discovered, a longer, but less harrowing ride back.

But I digress.

We visited, she stayed in a dorm, we met with admissions, she went to class, we ate the food, toured the facilities, talked nitty gritty about scholarships, blah blah blah.

If I could have just left her there to begin her college experience, she would have been thrilled.  When I do leave her there in a year, she'll flip over backwards and only wave longer than normal as we disappear because she knows that I'll be crushed if she doesn't.

I'm not one to get all verklempt (just ask my hubby), but it's H*A*R*D* to wrap your head around your babies leaving home. 

My boss, who is a delightfully real woman (and whose oldest is graduating from college this spring), shared this with me, both as a testament that I will not be alone in my boohooing all the way home, but also as a bit of a warning not to be "that" woman who just can't let go at all.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129693174

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment