Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sh*t my daughter says

I should start a new blog with that title, because there's a lot of content.

Last night, we're having a conversation about school, and how her AP History teacher is a nice person but a horrible teacher and the fact that most of what my daughter has learned thus far she's had to teach herself.  Point in case, she was watching youtube documentaries on the Haitian revolution last night in order to find material to compare/contrast the French and Haitian revolutions.  I resisted suggesting that she read Madison Smart Bell's books on Haiti, which, while beautifully written about that time, are a shocking treatise on how brutal people were to on another.  In any event, we then discussed her Chemistry teacher, who, in spite of being "scary" is an excellent teacher because she brings the concepts home, if you will, makes them relevant and places them in context which enables the students to understand and therefore know them.

"Well," I said.  "You really have a firm grasp on what it takes to be an effective teacher!  Perhaps you should become a teacher one day."

"I hate kids"

"Oh, well, you don't have to teach kids....you could become a teacher of adult learners!"

"I hate people"

I suspect this will significantly limit her career options. 

No comments:

Post a Comment