Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pause Save and Resume

My son is into some new video game.  SKYRIM.  If you are a gamer, it's pretty cool.  I'm not a gamer, in spite of his tireless efforts to turn me into one.  I did try this game though. We created a character (an armored nordic warrior with green hair) for me and I tried mightily to make it to the first level.  I just don't have it in me to function with the required multi dexterity.  I'm a complete failure.  I cannot move forward, while looking around, weilding a sword and throwing flames from my hands.  It's one or the other, not all at once.  This happens to be a game where checking over your shoulder repeatedly = self preservation.  I died so many times it became boring and I gave up.

There are a lot of analogies for life here, OBVIOUSLY, but my favorite is when my son, when suddenly finding himself in a situation where his character is being ganged up on, can pause the game, reload on armor, healing potions, and whatever else he needs to fortify himself for the onslaught, save his progress at that point in his character's life, and then resume the game to meet the challenge better prepared.

He grinned at me "I sure wish I could do that in real life!"

No kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment