Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tell your friend Veronica

It's time to celebrate Hanukkah!  Thank you Adam Sandler....your ode to the Jewish Holiday is an essential part of my Christian Holiday. 

Just in case you haven't seen it yet this season.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeC8nTYEwQQ&noredirect=1

Good Stuff!

My daughter is at home making stollen.  I LOVE stollen, but rarely buy it because of how freaking expensive (and fattening) it is.  I realized, however, last night, exactly why it is so expensive .... of the 20 ingredients on the list, cardamom powder alone is $10 (for a jar the size of my night cream.)  Holy Crow!  But I'm sure it will be delish. 

Should you have nothing better to do over the next few weeks, may I recommend a few movies?  These first ones happen to be of the documentary variety.

Life in a Day 
(which you can actually watch in its entirety on the interweb)
Life in a Day
(p.s.  this is not a great movie for kids...because it is a compilation of people's actual lives on a given day last summer, there is some footage of a few visceral events, including the slaughter of a few animals.  hard to watch, just a warning, in case you have trouble with that kind of stuff.)

Waiting for Superman
(which is an eye opening documentary on the state of education in this country.  a perfectly acceptable movie choice for middle schoolers and up, though I suspect they'll get bored.)
Waiting for Superman

This next one I enjoyed, and am glad I watched, if only because it was challenging.  It's been out a while, and I'd just never seen it, but it's a fascinating (in that slow motion train wreck sort of way) and different look at the Third Reich.  I watched it with my teenagers. 

Downfall

While we are on the topic of movies....I have a few personal faves in the Christmas movie department.  Topping the list is actually ELF.   Another fave, that you never see anymore is the 1995 Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter and Anne Bancroft.  Home for the Holidays

Another favorite of the dysfunctional family Christmas variety is The Family Stone.
Dermott Mulroney can do no wrong in my book.

And then last, but not least, is Millions which is just a wonderful movie.  Great for kids, except that if you're not practiced at British accents, it can be a bit challenging at times, but still worth the effort. 

Okay, enough for now.  Believe it or not, I'm actually supposed to be WORKING today.  oops!

xo





No comments:

Post a Comment