Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Upon thee I build my rock.... or maybe not.

My daughter is converting to Catholicism.  I've almost hesitated to write about this here, because it's such a big deal, momentarily, that I almost feel compelled to start a whole brand new blog to devote to it.

That she is converting to Catholicism is odd for a number of reasons.

1.  She is 16
2.  She's had absolutely no formal introduction to Catholicism from her family since we are non-churchgoers and non-religious
3.  What teenager decides they are going to join a religion and then does all the work to actually get themselves not only enrolled in a confirmation program, but also dedicates themselves, completely, to pursuing this passion with only veiled support from their family?  Who does that, I ask you?  I'll give you a hint, she's 5'4", has red hair and lives upstairs at my house. 

It's just SO WEIRD.

I can't say this to her, so I'm saying this to you instead.  I say more supportive things to her.  When I'm not being sacreligious that is....a little problem I have that didn't used to be a problem, but now, clearly IS!

Apparently telling her things like "blessed art though among women" when she unloads the dishwasher unsolicited is NOT a compliment to her in the way I mean it. 

I'm telling you, the sands upon which I've constructed my little metaphysical vacation home are shifting.   It's definitely food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment